LeeMac

SCAMS/FAKES & SH*T Projects (for the airdrop fam)

Do we have a separate forum area for these?

If not - please be vigilant - I know I applied to an airdrop offered by Benebit and after hearing it did a runner and then recently seeing all the fake airdrops going around I was thinking this might be a good a place as any to watch out for and be wary of what you sign up to.

EOS Airdrop & Telegram Bot - via Google Form and Telegram (confirmed by EOS official telegram to be an unofficial and more than likely fake drop)

OmiseGo (same as above)

XRP (same as above)

Twitter accounts of famous people offering free crypto if you send them a small amount first (no real official person would require you send them anything - they don't need ur crypto - McAfee, Elon Musk, Charlie Lee, Binance, Cryptopia are examples of people I've seen have accounts set up looking like them - subsequently I report every fake account I see and suggest you do the same.

If you complete airdrops - remember you never need to send anyone your private keys or passwords (and in most instances never need to send ETH unless you want to buy tokens directly) so if you ever get contacted for this info just ignore the person/block them/report them in whatever app you get approached etc and be careful who you complete KYC info for - especially in regards to an airdrop - I complete hundreds of airdrops and only have a 10% conversion rate and legit airdrop projects have never required my passport photo or details. So please be careful out there :)

If you have come across airdrops that seem dodgy or claim to be official please let us know here.

Official airdrops are easy to verify as the project owners accounts will be able to confirm this easily from within their social media channels. Unofficial ones (can still be legit - like a giveaway to help promote a smaller start-up channel) the difference in scams is that they "pretend" to be from legit people. 

hi Leemac, there is another thread that opened for Airdrops. 

I suggest we clean up and only have 2 threads, one for all airdrops and one for scam airdrops and coins that the mod should update the first post always. 

since you know all about airdrops maybe you can mod that? and everyone can give input? 

Hiya Alvi,

I'm unreliable so I fail as a mod for things lol - but kind of you to suggest that.

What are you thinking to clean up? I can't see edit/delete options for my posts anymore so I'll have to leave that to the more superior ranked peeps lol :) Or - i'm just blind haha.

But we should def keep a pinned post of known scams somewhere. It doesn't look like the ANN channel is getting much use. Maybe there aren't many airdroppers here anymore? Or the restrictions put them off maybe. 

Judging by myself and my time availability for airdrops it would be amazing for all the community to really know which airdrop to join and which airdrop / coins to avoid. 

as much as i would like i simply can't find the time to fill up too many, apart from the fact that it is filling up my telegram and driving me nuts :)

Yes I think it would be really helpful. I myself being new would not have known that information you just gave about these well known people asking for something. I never gave  a thought about it. But I do know not to give out my private key and that's because I've learned that on here from different conversations. 

Can't you both work together in this to help us be able to spot the scammers?

That's why I'm afraid to get in on the airdrops except for Genesis drops. Which I hope there will be one I can get in on. 

So right now is there any we need to avoid? 

Listing them here is good I think.

@vhighfill wish i could have helped, unfortunately leemac is the expert, i dont know a lot when it comes to airdrops

Thanks for your comments @Alvi & @vhighfill

No expert here - just an enthusiast for free crypto :).

Airdrops to avoid -- partly mentioned above - don't be in a hurry to complete google forms or telegram bot signups to those claiming to be from well-known coins or recently dropped coins (REBL, EOS, XRP, OMiseGo, XMR, DOGE, ETN) for example are some I've seen. Its debatable whether they are just shilling a fake giveaway to get you to join their social communities for views, want to steal your ID, or start building your trust to email you later and ask for real money in someway.

EthInvites - is a confirmed scam - invite 5 ppl to withdraw 0.01 ETH - but after the referrals and trying to withdraw you are forwarded to download apps, or to other sites which other ppl have confirmed contain malware/viruses etc. 

And again because I think this is the most important thing for everyone to think about - any airdrop asking for KYC photo ID verification should be outright avoided. The risk of ID theft vs some free tokens is not worth it. (The risk assessment for KYC with known exchanges and ICO's conducting serious full disclosure projects are different. Please don't think I'm referring to legit business requirements that KYC was created for in regards to AML. I am not a legal advisor here - just trying to get people to reconsider giving your real ID to strangers for the purpose of an airdrop.)

OK then other than gen coins what air drops should we look for. What is stated about an air drop that can help us determine it is ligit?

@vhighfill airdrops are usually offered by new projects/ico's to help kickstart their community. No project/airdrop is going to clearly state its not real... often its not til after its been reviewed by the community through the way it acts or the data it does or doesn't provide are ico/airdrops found to be lacking or just straight up ripping off another ico/project/its community. (It all comes back to DYOR or double-checking your sources type thing). 

Also - as we can't share bulk referral lists here - just information - I'm not focusing on the good airdrops - just giving the names of those I would avoid responding if contacted directly to give the any of your hard earned crypto. HAVVEN official have just emailed their airdrop/ico community and advised that they are not behind the emails requesting ETH be sent so again - IGNORE emails from projects until you confirm direct from the official channel of a project.

Also this was posted a couple of days ago here offering more tips you might find helpful on good airdrops. 

This is why I suggested a search option so I could remember where the topic was first discussed. I didn't remember it was posted in Beginners. If I search for airdrops then it should take us to airdrops in Beginners.  I think that is what I'd like. I know this belongs in suggestions but I wanted to answer your message. I don't know exactly how to do my own research because I don't know what I'm looking for. That's why I asked on this posting. I'm sorry for not remembering that it was posted on different forum

Don't be sorry - the search function saves us from having to remember where things are so its a definite handy little feature (I used it to get that link hehe - but your right I'm sure there was another from awhile back that covered a few things (not just airdrops) and had a few more of us responding. It could have been cleaned up at some point).

@Jackson_Genesis is there any way to make someone a mod on one thread only for example. so @LeeMac can edit the first post in this thread and update the list of Face or scam coins making it always a reference

the same can be done in another thread Airdrops where another person or leemac can update valid and good airdrops.  

It's not unfortunately :( It's only possible for an actual sub-forum so that would require this to be it's own section. 

we can't have it all :)

would they have an option to say that always when you post a new thread you can edit your own post, the first one obviosuly? or can you put a rule that a poster can edit their post longer, not following the general time limitation on the rest of the posts?

Basic Attention Token (BAT) is not running or endorsing any official airdrops - its an established token, has an official Twitter and Telegram and is listed on CMC - any google forms or tel-bots are fake, private shills, potential scams in waitings. 

Another warning alert :) this one is just a reminder as I just saw Obirum post about this on Twitter earlier. Admins, Devs and officials for airdropsor ICO's will never contact you directly in Telegram and ask for money. If you are approached by an admin of anything for no reason out of the blue - then report/block/delete them - they are fakers. They are usually trying to mimic a real admin by changing their username and pic to match them - but the account name is usually a generic throw-away account name or something clearly not what the real persons account is. You can check this to verify by right-clicking on their Telegram avatar.

So someone just posted into Twitter a snap of an ICO's dev team and Ryan Gosling's pic was being used... LOL - further investigation from the tweeter was that they are claiming to have (or legit may already have had transfers of ETH into this project) of 1million dollars. I can't even...

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/970715034736238592

Really useful page. As an addition, from time to time fake REBL drop forms are appearing. If you're here not so long, don't fall on these. The only one was done in december.

On March 5, 2018 at 12:06 AM, LeeMac said:

Basic Attention Token (BAT) is not running or endorsing any official airdrops - its an established token, has an official Twitter and Telegram and is listed on CMC - any google forms or tel-bots are fake, private shills, potential scams in waitings. 

I knew this airdrop was a fake... told my friend and he wouldn't just listen,so much fake out here these days... making it a bit extra stressful.

My friend at YourFreeCrypto.com posted a scam alert today about an email he received regarding a spoofed CoinDesk email - claiming to advertise a fake EOS airdrop - further linking you through to and even more fake MEW. He discovered the following info for us - but you can go google the article yourself if you want to double check :)

Coindesk - the url or email was fake (incorrect k letter using a unicode lettering)

EOS Airdrop - The official site verifies no such thing

MEW - The website address in his pic shows the fake address being SSL approved - but the y and e are using underdot diacritic characters instead of the regular y and e. mỵẹtherwallet 

Also - not mentioned in this article - but certainly others - Binance has been known to have the n's replaced with underdot n's and Bittrex with a cedilla or comma under the r. The real sites do not use such sneaky bs like this so any crypto site you see this at, avoid it.

Another phishing form floating around offering an airdrop for SALT for joining their telegram and completing their google doc and for tricking others via referrals. (I'm not linking these directly because they are FAKE.

SALT or @Saltlending on Twitter advised on both their Twitter and Official Telegram channel (via their pinned post) that airdrops using their name are FAKE.

The official website can be found here https://www.saltlending.com/   The official Telegram is here https://t.me/joinchat/EpqzL0Kgf4cHYDv1JVSeRw

And the tweet from the official telegram for Salt referencing a fake drop 

As said before - its mostly only a phishing attempt to gain your details - and then solicit you with fake email offers in the hopes they can trick you into buying or investing in things (having already gained your trust), rather than compromising your accounts or devices. 

This is where being forewarned and forearmed can keep you from being scammed out of your crypto.