Sign in to follow this  
onlinedollars

Why is Bitcoin not called an altcoin

We have more than a 1000 cryptocurrencies and only Bitcoin is not regarded as an altcoin among them. Why must it be so, since the sum of their marketcap is higher than that of bitcoin.

I think that came from bitcointalk, as we know that bitcointalk is the first official forum to discuss btc, and perhaps the first too that focused on cryptocurrency. Bitcointalk catagorized all coins other than btc as Altcoins. CMIIW.

Because bitcoin is universally declared as the first cryptocurrency that was discovered through the blockchain (I'm saying through the blockchain because there are already other scientific discoveries that assert that cryptos can be made outside the blockchain) All the rest are considered as alternative coins (altcoins). What's interesting to discuss is the power dynamics that play now to challenge bitcoin as the crypto superstar. The competition of cryptos is already on the zenith. Every network wants to be number 1 and there countless strategies to wrestle defeat. That now is the ultimate issue

i think @euclidis right. bitcoin is generaly seen as the first crypto and as almost all coins are being valued in Satoshi. so the value of the altcoins are for the moment still in relation to bitcoin 

OMG. Sorry for the typos. I just read my post again because I was notified that there's a reply. The option to edit is not available! End of the world. Hahaha! Here's my edited post: 

Because bitcoin is universally declared as the first cryptocurrency that was discovered on the blockchain (I'm saying through the blockchain because there are already other scientific discoveries that assert that cryptos can be made on the satellites) All the rest are considered as alternative coins (altcoins). What's interesting to discuss is the power dynamics that play now to challenge bitcoin as the crypto superstar. The competition of cryptos is already on the zenith. Every network wants to be number 1 and there are countless strategies to win. That now is the ultimate issue.

I wish one of the admins or mods would delete my previous post. 

_________  

Xindoa, it's interesting how the pioneer bitcoin plays a role in different crypto projects. What can you say about the movements of bitcoin these days? Will that be defeated by an altcoin/utility token? What coin has the potential to defeat bitcoin? For what reason? Thanks

Because Bitcoin is the Father of all altcoins. The first crypto invented by satoshi nakamoto. Then next to this other coins are created and those are the coins we call altcoins or alternative coins.