ZionDominic

Updates on MyEtherWallet / BLUE

The team at MEW are saying they are not aware of any compromises to MEW. I can't say either way what has happened if anything.

Although from a Blue perspective, it looks good for them and unsurprisingly the price has absolutely rocketed. I would hope that if they are reporting this it's because it's a real threat rather than trying to make something up to boost their price and look better.

Just to add to my comment, here is a Reddit thread that might be useful: 

In my opinion so far, I am sceptical about these claims. The fact that after they start announcing this vulnerability in MEW, they immediately try and point people straight to their own wallet, which let's be honest, no matter how secure they say it is or their intentions, is untested and unfamiliar to a lot of people in crypto. 

Not only that, but they also tag a fake MEW twitter account. It's an easy mistake but considering these guys are supposed to be the pinnacle of security, surely this is something you just have to ensure you get right.

Then to make it even worse, they openly call out what the possibly "exploits" are on Twitter which is a bad idea if it's real as you've now just alerted hackers all around the world how they can target MEW and what the problems are. Then they claim it's a DNS issue for some regions which so far has not been proven, then they have access to the server itself? It all seems sketchy to me. 

On twitter they also talk about a "MIDM" attack, which presumable they actually mean a MITM attack (Man in the Middle). Again, it could be a mistake but they do it twice in different tweets. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this was a pre-planned attack by Blue on MyEtherWallet to make themselves look good and try and add validity to their project, promote their own Blue wallet and ultimately boost their price, which they have done.

If I'm proven wrong, I'll be the first to hold my hands up and admit it. 

Regardless, I'd still recommend being as cautious as possible.

Hi,

Does anyone have updates on the MyEtherWallet/BLUE most recent beef? I wanted to know if using MEW is safe :/

Thanks.

My personal view is that MEW was never compromised at all.  All the news/FUD came from the BLUE team and nobody else, i didn't stop using MEW.  Although i use it with Metamask for added security. 

Well they truly are competitors, but I see no reason to don't believe BLUE too, I'm kind of feeling divided. This crypto games are wicked man

Edited by billyboy

On 1/11/2018 at 12:05 PM, billyboy said:

Hi,

Does anyone have updates on the MyEtherWallet/BLUE most recent beef? I wanted to know if using MEW is safe :/

Thanks.

Can you tell me what is blue. I've seen it a few times when discussed with ether wallet

11 hours ago, vhighfill said:

Can you tell me what is blue. I've seen it a few times when discussed with ether wallet

It's just a token, but the idea before Blue is that they are helping keep crypto secure and are flagging any issues or vulnerabilities they see. While I don't doubt they have flagged legitimate vulnerabilities, I'm still not convinced on them. The saga with MEW is an example and looks like it was used to increase awareness of their token, their wallet and to drive the price off, which it did.

Not only that, but around the time that Blue launched. a load of shills of Blue went around trying to attack any other projects and airdrops on Bitcointalk, including us. I don't know if these people were actually part of the Blue team or encouraged, I hope not, but it still reflects bad on their community nonetheless.

I think there's a fake mew twitter that cause this accusation. I think some people are phished and thought it was from mew. 

54 minutes ago, Somasoma14 said:

I think there's a fake mew twitter that cause this accusation. I think some people are phished and thought it was from mew. 

It was actually all Blue. They basically created a whole entire story through tweets on their twitter account to make it seem as if MEW was compromised or hacked and basically spreading a whole lot of FUD.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with @Jackson_Genesis that it seems almost as if the Blue team is just trying to shill their own token by "attacking" other projects. Shilling may be a necessary evil but there is never any good reason to attack others without any provocation.

Edited by cgrave

Agree, this FUD spreading never comes out to create a good image on the competitors - it may do the reverse (to BLUE) when the truth is published by MEW, in my opinion...

On 1/14/2018 at 11:42 AM, cgrave said:

It was actually all Blue. They basically created a whole entire story through tweets on their twitter account to make it seem as if MEW was compromised or hacked and basically spreading a whole lot of FUD.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with @Jackson_Genesis that it seems almost as if the Blue team is just trying to shill their own token by "attacking" other projects. Shilling may be a necessary evil but there is never any good reason to attack others without any provocation.

Wow now that's just wrong. The more I hear the more I'm turning away. They will reap what they sew .